1. TLC has a Foster Application that all potential foster homes must complete.
2. Take time to think about what type of animal you'd like to give a temporary home. Do you want to foster a dog or a cat? What size animal are you interested in fostering? What breed(s) do you like? Do you want an active or a calm foster pet?
3. Also consider the following factors: Do you have kids? Do you have other animals in the house? Do your animals get along with other animals?
4. Go to the shelter to visit the animals and see which ones you think would make a good temporary addition to your family. Talk to the caretaker to learn more about the animals and to get her suggestions for which ones she thinks would be a good fit for you and your family, making sure to tell her about the information from questions 2 and 3.
5. Get to know the foster animal. Pet it. Play with it. Have fun with it. If it's a dog, take it for a walk. If it's a cat, sit with it for awhile. Talk with the caretaker to learn about any special needs (e.g., dietary restrictions, etc.) the animal may have. After considering all these factors, think about whether the animal would be a good fit in your household.
6. If you think you've found the right foster dog or cat, it's a good idea to bring your other family members, including your animals, to meet the potential foster animal before deciding to bring it home. Talk to the caretaker when you get to the shelter so she can help introduce the potential new foster to the family.
7. If everything works out between your family and the potential foster pet, a TLC representative will come to your home to perform a home check and fill out paperwork, as per Department of Agriculture guidelines.
8. If everything checks out, you can schedule a time to pick up the foster animal.
9. Realize that this animal may not be with your family forever, but that you are critical to giving it a better life in the long run.
10. Give the animal the best life you can while in your home, and he or she will do the same in return. Contact TLC with any questions or concerns along the way.
Here's where you can enter in text. Feel free to edit, move, delete or add a different page element.
All of our dogs and cats are
pre-loved and socialized. Our adoption fee covers:
Vaccinations / Rabies